Crispy Chicken Thighs and Potatoes | Made in your Air Fryer
Air fryers are the perfect accessory for RV kitchens, especially in the summer months when your air conditioning unit is struggling to keep up. We are here in Texas, and the heat index was 113 today! Definitely NOT a day that I want to turn on the stove. This recipe for Air Fryer Chicken Thighs and Potatoes is the perfect solution!
Juicy chicken thighs are cooked until they are golden brown and paired with crispy potatoes.
Everything is cooked with one appliance that doesn’t heat up the kitchen. And best of all, the whole meal is done in under 30 minutes, making this a great option for busy weeknights.
Add in a side salad, or vegetable like these roasted beets with goat cheese and you have a complete meal that the entire family will love.
Let’s talk chicken
I don’t care what anyone says, skin-on chicken thighs are the best part! Why you ask? Because they are the most flavorful and juicy cut. They contain more fat and fat = FLAVOR! Bone-in chicken thighs are also very hard to overcook so it’s easy to obtain extra crispy skin without the fear of drying out the meat. Using the air fryer function on my NINJA FOODI 10 in 1 is one of my favorite ways to get the crispiest skin!
I’m telling you guys, if you buy one new appliance this year this is the one! I use it daily and it has been a game changer since moving into our RV full time!
With the ability to pressure cook, air fry, slow cook, steam, and more, it streamlines your cooking process and reduces the need for multiple kitchen gadgets.
The great thing about this recipe is its versatility
When it comes to spice blends for air fryer chicken thighs and potatoes, the possibilities are truly endless. You have the freedom to explore a wide range of flavors and seasonings, allowing you to customize your dish according to your preferences and culinary adventures.
Here are a few spice blend options to consider:
Classic Seasoning: Keep it simple and timeless with a combination of salt, pepper, garlic powder, and paprika. This blend enhances the natural flavors of the chicken thighs and potatoes, creating a deliciously seasoned dish that’s always a crowd-pleaser.
Mediterranean: Transport your taste buds to the Mediterranean with a blend of dried oregano, thyme, rosemary, garlic, and lemon zest. This aromatic combination adds a burst of fresh and herbaceous flavors, perfectly complementing the tender chicken and crispy potatoes.
Smoky Barbecue: Infuse your dish with a smoky and tangy twist by using a barbecue spice blend. Mix together smoked paprika, brown sugar, chili powder, cumin, and a touch of cayenne pepper for a mouthwatering, slightly sweet, and slightly spicy flavor profile.
Spicy Cajun: Kick up the heat with a fiery Cajun blend. Combine paprika, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, dried thyme, and a pinch of black pepper for a bold and flavorful seasoning that will add a kick to your chicken thighs and potatoes.
Asian Fusion: For an Asian-inspired twist, try a blend of soy sauce, ginger, garlic powder, sesame oil, and a hint of five-spice powder. This combination infuses your dish with a savory and slightly sweet umami flavor, making for a unique and delightful culinary experience.
Herbs de Provence: Elevate your dish with the fragrant and aromatic flavors of Herbs de Provence. This blend typically includes a mixture of dried thyme, rosemary, oregano, marjoram, and savory. The result is a sophisticated and herbaceous seasoning that adds a touch of elegance.
Remember, these are just a few examples to spark your creativity. Feel free to mix and match spices, and herbs to create your own signature seasoning blend. Don’t be afraid to experiment and discover new flavor combinations. Consider this as a guide and change it up to suit your mood!
I always give instructions with step-by-step photos in my posts, just in case some readers have questions. But if you are just here for the recipe, click the JUMP TO RECIPE tab under the title and it will take you straight there. You can also print the recipe card with full instructions, or you can click one of the SHARE BUTTONS and save it for later!
Let’s Gather Up the Ingredients
With just a few simple ingredients you can create a delicious dinner with minimal cook time and clean up.
- Chicken Thighs– use bone-in skin-on for best results
- Potatoes– baby new potatoes
- Garlic Powder
- Fresh herbs such as rosemary, thyme, or oregano
- Oil– use something with a high smoke point like Olive Oil or Avocado Oil
- Lemon pepper seasoning
- Onion Powder
- Black pepper
Now Let’s Get Cooking
Be sure to see the recipe card for precise measurements and full instructions
Make the dry rub
Combine the seasonings in a small bowl and then set aside.
Season the chicken thighs
In a large bowl, toss the chicken thighs with half of the olive oil and half of the spice blend, ensuring they are evenly coated. Allow them to sit at room temperature for at least 15 minutes so that the flavors can penetrate the meat.
Prepare the potatoes
Meanwhile, rinse the potatoes and pat dry. Cut them in half or quarters depending on their size, then place them in a separate bowl and drizzle them with the remaining olive oil. Season with more of the spice blend. Toss the potatoes to ensure they are well coated.
Time to Airfry!
Place potatoes, cut side down in the bowl of your Ninja Foodi Air fryer. Select the sear/saute function and cook on high heat until they have formed a nice golden crust on the bottom. Flip the potatoes.
Now place the grill insert over the tops of the potatoes. Place the seasoned chicken thighs, skin side up on the grate, making sure to leave some space between them for proper air circulation. Depending on the size of your air fryer, you may need to cook them in batches.
Set the Ninja Foodi to Air Crisp mode. Set the temperature to 400°F and cook the chicken thighs for 20-25 minutes. The exact cooking time may vary depending on the size and thickness. Test the thickest part of the thigh with a meat thermometer to ensure the internal temperature reaches 165°F for safe consumption.
Once the chicken thighs and potatoes are cooked to perfection, carefully remove them from the air fryer. Allow the chicken to rest for a few minutes to retain its juiciness before serving.
Serve the air fryer chicken thighs and potatoes together on a plate, garnishing with fresh herbs, if desired. This recipe makes a delightful and satisfying main course, perfect for enjoying in your RV or any setting.
How to serve
Serve with a Simple Caesar Salad or a variety of other side dishes for the perfect meal that the whole family will love!
I love the versatility of this recipe. It can be made with whatever seasonings or vegetables you have on hand.
Switch out the Chicken thighs for:
Swap out the new potatoes for options like:
- Sweet Potatoes
- Baby Golds
- or fingerling potatoes
Not in the mood for roasted potatoes? Serve these crispy chicken thighs with a different side like sauteed kale and potatoes!
Use your creativity to make this a meal that YOUR family will enjoy!
It usually just takes just 5-6 minutes to reheat chicken in the air fryer, however the reheating time will vary depending on the type of chicken. Individual chicken pieces, like a leg, thigh, or wing, should be reheated for 5-6 minutes on 365°F
Yes! This is a great option for reheating because it makes cleanup a breeze.
Because there is no need to preheat your oven, air frying is the best way to cook tender and juicy chicken in less time.
Store any leftovers in an air-tight container in the refrigerator and use within 3 days.
Use whatever model of air fryer you have. You will get the same delicious results.
Tips for Success
- Always use silicon utensils when cooking in your air fryer so that you don’t scratch the non-stick lining.
- After 20 minutes, check the internal temperature of the chicken with a meat thermometer. Once it has reached 165F, remove it from the air fryer.
- If your air fryer doesn’t have a separate grill rack, you can simply lay the thighs right on top of the potatoes to cook. Once the chicken is done, remove it to a plate to rest. Shake the potatoes in the air fryer basket to redistribute them so that they cook evenly. Then air fry the potatoes on their own for a final five minutes to crisp them up.
- Don’t over season. You may not need to use all of the seasoning mix. Depending on the size of your chicken thighs and the amount of potatoes you make, you may need less. Just use your best judgment to make sure that everything is coated well. You can always add more seasoning at the end.
More recipes I think you will love
As always, if you decide to make this recipe or any of my other Chicken Recipes, please be sure to give it a star rating and let me know how yours turned out. I love hearing your feedback and I will do my best to answer any questions you have as quickly as I can.
I will be back next week with more delicious recipes from my RV kitchen to yours!
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure policy.
Learn how to get Amazon deliveries straight to your RV.
Crispy Chicken Thighs and Potatoes: Made in Your Air Fryer
- 1 Air fryer
- 2 pounds bone-in skin-on chicken thighs
- 4-5 new potatoes, depending on size
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- fresh herbs optional
- Combine the seasonings in a small bowl and then set aside.
- In a large bowl, toss the chicken thighs with half of the olive oil and half of the spice blend, ensuring they are evenly coated. Allow them to sit at room temperature for at least 15 minutes so that the flavors can penetrate the meat.
- Meanwhile, rinse the potatoes and pat dry. Cut them in half or quarters depending on their size, then place them in a separate bowl and drizzle them with the remaining olive oil. Season with the remaining spice blend. Toss the potatoes to ensure they are well coated with the oil and seasoning.
- Place potatoes, cut side down in the bowl of your Ninja Foodi Air fryer. Select the sear/saute function and cook on high heat until they have formed a nice golden crust on the bottom. Flip the potatoes.
- Now place the grill insert over the tops of the potatoes. Place the seasoned chicken thighs, skin side up on the grate, making sure to leave some space between them for proper air circulation. Depending on the size of your air fryer, you may need to cook them in batches.
- Set the Ninja Foodi to Air Crisp mode. Set the temperature to 400°F and cook the chicken thighs for 20-25 minutes. The exact cooking time may vary depending on the size and thickness. Test the thickest part of the thigh with a meat thermometer to ensure the internal temperature reaches 165°F for safe consumption.
- Once the chicken thighs and potatoes are cooked to perfection, carefully remove them from the air fryer. Allow the chicken to rest for a few minutes to retain its juiciness before serving.