Mini Philly Cheesesteak bites
Mini Cheese Steak Bites
These appetizers combine all of the delicious flavors of a classic Philly cheesesteak into portable bite-sized snacks.
- 2 tbs butter
- 2 tbs flour
- 1 cup cold milk
- 2 oz shredded provolone cheese or more to taste
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- salt to taste
- 1 (12 oz) skirt steak
- salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- 3 tbs olive oil, divided, or as needed
- ¼ cup water
- ⅓ cup diced onion
- ⅓ cup diced sweet peppers
- 2 baguettes cut into 48 ½-inch thick slices
- ¼ cup shredded provolone cheese, or as needed
- Preheat the oven to 400°. Line two baking sheets with aluminum foil.
- Make the sauce: Melt butter in a skillet over medium-high heat. Whisk flour into hot butter and cook, whisking constantly, until mixture is pale and flour taste cooks off, about 1 minute. Whisk milk into flour mixture until mixture is hot and thickened, 3-6 minutes. Add provolone cheese, nutmeg, cayenne pepper, and salt; stir until cheese is completely melted. Set aside.
- Make mini cheesesteaks: Season steak with salt and black pepper. Heat 1 tbsp of the olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Cook steak in hot oil, turning occasionally, until meat is slightly firm and pink on the inside, 5-7 minutes. Transfer meat to a plate.
- Return the skillet to heat and pour in water; bring to a boil while scraping the browned bits of food off the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon. Pour liquid from the skillet over the steak. Cool steak to room temperature; dice meat and place meat and accumulated juices from the plate into a large bowl.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in the skillet over medium-high heat; saute onions and peppers in hot oil until softened and slightly translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir onion and peppers into beef in the bowl; season with salt and pepper.
- Spread bread slices out on the prepared baking sheets and drizzle with the remaining 1 tbsp olive oil. Flip slices over so that the oiled sides face downward. Spread cheese sauce generously onto each slice. Spoon beef mixture on top. Sprinkle with provolone cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven until browned and the cheese is melted. 12-15 minutes.