The Best Buffalo Chicken Meatballs Recipe
Juicy, flavorful meatballs packed with tons of Buffalo Wing Flavor- they can be served as a game day appetizer or as a hearty main course with a side of rice or vegetables. No matter how you serve them, this Buffalo Chicken Meatballs recipe is sure to be a hit!
We are a huge fan of Buffalo Wings at our place, but when you live in your RV it’s not always ideal to fry a batch up. We often make them in our Ninja Foodi Air Fryer, but sometimes we are craving something just a bit less messy.
This recipe incorporates the savory, tangy flavor of Buffalo Chicken Wings, but in the form of meatballs bathed in a rich and creamy sauce flavored with Frank’s Red Hot sauce. These make the perfect party appetizer served with carrots, celery sticks, and blue cheese crumbles or serve them as a full meal with plenty of silky sauce to spoon all over whatever you pair them with.
And if you love meatballs as much as I do, you should try this One Pan Meatball Casserole. It combines juicy, tender meatballs with light and fluffy mashed potatoes all topped with tangy marinara and plenty of gooey cheese.
Tips for success: If you are cooking for kids or just aren’t a fan of spicy foods, feel free to reduce the amount of hot sauce in the recipe; however, refrain from increasing it, because it might cause the sauce to curdle or become too thick.
Let’s gather up the ingredients
This recipe only requires a few simple ingredients that can be found at most grocery stores.
- Large egg
- Hot Sauce– We use Frank’s Red Hot Sauce for this recipe. Make sure you are purchasing the regular hot sauce, not the wings sauce. You can use any vinegar-based hot sauce for this recipe, in our opinion Frank’s is the best!
- Clove of garlic– minced
- Black pepper
- Ground Chicken– If you can’t find ground chicken, feel free to sub with ground turkey.
- Parmesan Cheese– or Romano which is what I had on hand, freshly grated
- Ritz crackers– you could substitute these for bread crumbs, but I just love the salty, buttery addition of the crackers.
- Heavy cream
- Chili powder
- Dill– freshly chopped or dried
- Green Onions– for serving
Now Let’s Get Cooking
Preheat your oven to 350℉ and put the oven rack in the middle position. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil or parchment paper and spray with non-stick cooking spray.
In a large mixing bowl, combine egg, dill, Frank’s Hot sauce, garlic, salt, and pepper until fully incorporated.
Add ground chicken, grated Parmesan, and crushed Ritz crackers. Mix with your hands until evenly combined.
Moisten clean hands with water and then roll the buffalo chicken meatball mixture into 1 or 2-inch meatballs (depending on whether you are serving them as an appetizer or as a main dish). Space them evenly apart on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes, or until cooked through.
For the sauce
In a large skillet over medium-high heat, combine heavy cream and butter. Stir until the butter has melted. Add 3 tablespoons of the hot sauce, chili powder, dill, sugar, and salt.
Bring to a gentle boil and then reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, until thickened to the consistency of a cream sauce. It should coat the back of your spoon.
Toss meatballs in the sauce and then simmer for about 5 more minutes so that all of the flavors can meld together. Taste and adjust for seasoning. Add the extra buffalo sauce if desired. Sprinkle with chopped scallions and serve.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What type of ground chicken should I use?
Lean ground chicken is ideal for this recipe, as it will result in juicy meatballs without excess grease.
- Can I use a different type of hot sauce?
Yes, you can substitute your favorite hot sauce for Frank’s Red Hot. However, adjust the amount to your preferred level of heat.
3. How can I make this recipe ahead of time?
These meatballs can be cooked and tossed in the creamy sauce up to a day in advance. Simply reheat them before serving.
Store leftover meatballs in an airtight container for 3-5 days in the refrigerator. Simply reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop before serving. I think they taste even better the next day. I don’t recommend freezing this recipe.
How to serve
Serve these easy buffalo chicken meatballs as an appetizer with carrots and celery (you could even top it with blue cheese crumbles), over a bed of rice or pasta along with your favorite veggie, or even turn them into a sub sandwich! Toast buttered sub rolls under the broiler, top with the meatballs, drizzle with a little bit of blue cheese dressing, and eat!
More recipes you will love
If you decide to make this Easy Buffalo Chicken Meatballs Recipe or any of my other recipes, please be sure to give it a rating and let me know how yours turned out. I love hearing your feedback and I will do my best to answer any questions you have as quickly as I can.
As always, I will be back next week with more delicious recipes from my RV kitchen to yours!
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure policy.
Learn how to get Amazon deliveries straight to your RV.
The Best Buffalo Chicken Meatballs Recipe
For the Meatballs
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped dill or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1 Tablespoon Frank's Hot Sauce
- 1 large colve of garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pound ground chicken
- ⅓ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 10 Ritz Crackers, ground into crumbs
For the Creamy Sauce
- 1⅓ cups heavy cream
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 3-4 tablespoons Frank's Hot Sauce
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon freshly chopped dill or ¼ teaspoon dried
- ¼ teaspoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 scallions
- Preheat your oven to 350℉ and put the oven rack in the middle position. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil and spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine one large egg, 1 tablespoon fresh chopped dill (or 1 teaspoon dried), 1 Tablespoon Frank's Hot sauce, 1 clove minced garlic, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper until fully incorporated.
- Add 1 pound ground chicken, ⅓ cup grated Parmesan, and 10 crushed Ritz crackers. Mix with your hands until evenly combined.
- Moisten your hands with water and then roll into 1 or 2-inch meatballs (depending on whether you are serving them as an appetizer or as a main course). Space them evenly apart on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes, or until cooked through.
For the sauce
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, combine 1⅓ cups heavy cream and 3 tablespoons of butter. Stir until the butter has melted. Add 3 tablespoons of the hot sauce, ½ teaspoon chili powder, 1 teaspoon fresh chopped dill (or ¼ teaspoon dried), ¼ teaspoon sugar, and ¼ teaspoon salt.
- Bring to a gentle boil and then reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, until thickened to the consistency of a cream sauce. It should coat the back of your spoon.
- Nestle the meatballs into the sauce and then simmer for about 5 more minutes so that all of the flavors can meld. Taste and adjust for seasoning. Add the remaining hot sauce if desired. Sprinkle with chopped scallions and serve over rice.